Hiring: Government Affairs Manager for Climate Program
The Niskanen Center seeks a government affairs (GA) professional to lead outreach for our growing climate department. Niskanen’s climate program produces original research and policy analysis aiming to reduce the risks of climate change, promote carbon taxation, and support the transition to a low-carbon economy. The GA manager will develop and implement strategies to advance the Center’s ideas among federal officials and staff, NGOs, and industry/government stakeholders.
Competitive candidates will have experience working on the hill or in administrative agencies, demonstrated ability to work in a bipartisan fashion, and a strong grasp of climate and energy issues. The GA manager will work jointly with our climate policy and government affairs staff.
Major responsibilities include:
- Representing the Niskanen Center and effectively advocating its positions with key stakeholders through positive and proactive outreach
- Developing and executing strategies for advancing authorizing legislation through Congress, from conception to final passage
- Developing and maintaining long-term, positive, and collaborative relationships with legislative offices, relevant committee member offices, and key political actors
- Monitoring and interpreting legislation and related regulation to ascertain any impact on the Center and its policy priorities
- Proactively communicating with policy staff about any new or upcoming legislative and regulatory decisions/actions
- Assisting the preparation of briefing materials on climate policy matters
- Representing the Niskanen Center externally to other nonprofits, public interest groups, and other organizations
- 3-6 years of experience working with the legislative or executive branch and/or on a government relations team. Hill experience is preferred.
- Working knowledge of clean energy issues, energy infrastructure, tax, and climate change.
- The ability to work independently, leverage resources, and think creatively.
- Strong leadership presence, relationship building, and demonstration of sound judgment.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org